EXPLANATORY NOTES ON THE ASSOCIATION BADGE
The Horse, Beckenham
The Rampant, or White Horse of Kent, signifies the ancient ties of Beckenham and Bromley with the famous County and earliest Anglo-Saxon kingdom in England.
"The Sun" ("Sun" dridge) Bromley
The early history of Sundridge Park shows that it was the property of the Bishop of Rochester. It is known that in 1301 the manor of Sundridge was owned by John le Blunt, draper of London. The estate remained in the ownership of the Blunt (or Blound) family for many years. In 1680 it came into the possession of Thomas Washer of Lincoln's Inn. In 1801, Claude Scott, a cornfactor who later became a banker and Member of Parliament, acquired the estate. The old house was demolished and the mansion which still stands, built. The Scott family remained in occupation for over 100 years. In the 1870s the breeding of pheasants was started here and the Prince of Wales
came for shooting. One of the Scotts bred race horses and the horse Sundridge, bred and trained at Sundridge Park, was a famous sprinter and sire. In 1901 part of the park was converted into a golf course. Soon afterwards the Scotts left Sundridge Park and the mansion became a hotel.
Subsequently it became the Sundridge Park Management Centre.
"The Scallop Shell" Bromley
The Scallop Shell was the emblem of pilgrims to holy shrines, notably that of Archbishop Becket at Canterbury. There are many roads and lanes in Kent called Pilgrims Road or Pilgrims Way, being routes followed by medieval pilgrims.